Saturday, July 30, 2011

AND THEY'RE OFF!

Over the course of the next several days, I, Marc's wife Julie, will be updating the blog on Marc's behalf.  Folks, be patient with me as this if my first blog post EVER.  I'm sitting here eating BBQ steak, contemplating the meaning of life, and what exactly I should say.  I'm also wondering if anyone is out there reading this?!  Please feel free to post your comments so I know my words aren't disappearing into cyber-space.

Marc and Rob got off to a wonderful start this morning. We all enjoyed a wonderful night at the Ambassador Conference Resort and arrived at the put-in point for the send-off well rested.  I am happy to report that we collected an additional $210 this morning for the Soldier On Fund from various people that gathered to see Marc and Rob off on their trek! 


One service member by the name of Léo actually paddled up to the put-in point and accompanied Marc and Rob to Kingston Mills, the first set of locks.  My aunt, uncle, and I drove to Kingston Mills locks to cheer them on but they were making such good time that we never got a chance to speak to them as we could see Marc and Rob paddling in the distance towards their end destination; they were making good timing!  I tried to meet up with them in various locations along the river but had no luck so I finally headed home.  Marc has his cell phone and he is to update me about their daily experiences for this blog but I haven't heard from him yet.... I wonder if they have made it to Upper Brewer's locks as planned?  A reporter from the Westport Mirror was to meet them at the campsite to do an interview this evening.  Keep an eye out for this article!



2 comments:

  1. Met Marc and Rob and Upper Brewers and shared a camp site with them, we are on our last day of 16 going to ottawa and back to kingston, was great to share some stories and try out the rations, thanks guys and good luck on your trip, may the wind be at your back and clear skies all the way, great cause. Oh, we only have to do 10 km today and then warm bed, shower and Tims. Marc, if Rob calls you old one more time, whack him with his pretty werner paddle. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had wondered about intercepting Marc and decided that the end of the day might be best. I will see what I can arrange over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete